Legal Aid Services
Free Legal Aid may be obtained in any Court of Law upto the Supreme Court and in any Tribunal, Revenue Court as well as Departments of Government and other bodies discharging quasi-judicial functions. Legal aid is available in all civil, criminal, revenue and administrative matters.
Legal services may be given in all or any one or more of the following modes, namely:-
- By payment of Court fee, process fee, expenses of witness, preparation of the paper book, lawyers’s fee and all other charges payable or incurred in connection with any legal proceedings
- Through representation by a practitioner in legal proceedings
- By supplying certified copies of judgement, orders, notes or evidence and other documents in proceedings
- By preparation of appeal paper book, including printing, typing and translation of documents, and
- By drafting of legal documents.
Application can be made for obtaining free legal services or free legal aid as follows:-
- If the case is in the Supreme Court, to the Member Secretary, National Legal Services Authority,12/11 Jam Nagar House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi-11011,
Fax No: +91-11- 233822121,
Phone : +91-11-23386176, 23382778.
To the Secretary, Supreme Court Legal Services Committee, 109, Lawyers Chambers, Post Office wing, Supreme Curt compound, New Delhi 110001,
phone :+91-11-23073970, 23388131,
Fax No: +91-11-23388597.
- If the case is in the High Court, to the Member Secretary, Meghalaya State Legal Services Authority, MATI Building, Additional Secretariat, Room No.120, Shillong -793001
- If the case is at the District level, to the Secretary, District Legal Services Authority, East Khasi Hills District, Shillong/West Khasi Hills District, Nongstoin/West Jaintia Hills District, Jowai/Ri-Bhoi District, Nongpoh/West Garo Hills District , Tura/East Garo Hills District, Williamnagar/South Garo Hills District, Baghmara.
Jail Legal Aid Clinic /Legal Aid Cell
The empanelled Legal Aid Counsel visited the District Jail, Shillong every Wednesday evening for collecting applications from inmates and helping them in the matter of drafting their appeals, petitions etc, so that the jail inmate do not feel that they have no satisfactory legal assistance for redressal of their grievances. This clinic cum legal aid cell was inaugaurated by His Lordship, Mr. Justice M.B.Lokur, Chief Justice Gauhati High Court ( as the then was)on the 23th October, 2010.